Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Real Bassist?

I think I might be a real bassist now.  I'm not saying I'm a good bassist.  But I think I might be "serviceable". And after only a couple of weeks of bass ownership.  It probably helps that I've played some guitar over the past 12-ish years and drums over the past 25 - so I'm not a total n00b.

Last night, I turned on an original song by a friend of mine with the thought of composing a bass line.  Was going to go back to an email exchange where we figured out what the chords were.  But instead, I thought I could do without that.

Guess what.

I did it!  I found the root notes of the chords fairly easily using the little understanding of progressions I'd gained over the last week-ish.   Then I cam up with patterns for each chord using my recent learning about chord structures on the bass as well as octaves.  All of a sudden...

BOOM!

I had a real bass line.  And then I had an alternate line, too.  Took all of about 5 minutes to come up with both.  So I plugged into the mic input on my laptop, fired up Audacity, and recorded a new track along with the song.

Now I have to figure out how to do this with decent sound quality because, frankly, the quality of the bass sound sucked using this method - it's practically unlistenable.  But, what the heck...I'm a real bassist now.  I'll figure it out.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, it must be great to get that freedom-feeling on an instrument.

    Cheers! Let's get a project going.

    ReplyDelete